FAQ - Current Students

Exams (4)

The progress at the technical faculty differs slightly from the one in Nuremberg. For further information have a look at the international office of the technical faculty.

You can only resit an exam you have failed before. If you decide to take some regular FAU courses, your semester off will be cancelled.

Please be patient, at the beginning of the registration period sometimes problems occur. If they are not fixed after a few days, contact your student representatives. They will help you solving this problem.

Use the platform "mein campus" to register for exams during the fixed period announced by the examination office. If you have problems with mein campus have a look at the help page

If you have problems before or during your stay abroad please contact the IIS going abroad coordinator.

Have a look on the website of the FAU to find information about scholarships.

Have a look at the information provided by the FAU about writing a thesis abroad. If you still have questions after reading this get in touch with the chair you want to write your thesis at or contact the IIS going abroad coordinator.

It is recommended to take a semester off during your stay abroad. This semester off is only accepted afterwards if you did not earn more than 25 ECTS abroad. The whole procedure is explained on the website of the international relations office.

If you want to apply for a study abroad semester at a partner university of the  Wiso in Nuremberg you can find all useful information at the international relations office. They also announce the exact application date every year. Please be aware that you have to apply during your first semester (the usual deadline is mostly in December) if you want to go abroad during the third one.

Most of the language courses start in the first week and it is mandatory for you to attend the course. Otherwise your registration for this course may be deleted. If your course does not start in the first week you will usually find more information in the course catalogue. 

Yes, you can. But, as for other courses, you need a learning agreement. 

The registration period will be announced by the language center. Be aware that the registration period usually starts a few weeks before the semester starts. Use the announced platform to register for your course. Mostly you have to register using Oktis

Unfortunately not every language course has a beginner course during summer term. Have a look at the course catalogue to find out which courses are offered each semester. 

The FAU offers a variety of language courses. Please have a look at the course list offered by the language center

Yes, foreign language skills worth a total of 5 ECTS are mandatory for IIS students.

Yes, you have to be matriculated when you register your thesis as well as when you hand it in. 

Have a look at the topics announced on the websites of the different chairs and / or ask the chairs’ research assistants about possible thesis topics when you meet them in class. Contacting a staff member of a chair via e-mail is of course possible, too.

You can start your master's thesis each semester, but it is recommended for the last semester.

Immediately contact the student record office otherwise you will be exmatriculated. They will help you with the next steps.

Each student will receive information about the exact re-registering process from the student record office at his/her university email address. The re-registering period is usually announced in the academic calendar and in mein campus.